Thursday, June 07, 2007

I feel your pain!...

(photo from the first week with newborn Emmett)
You may think that this is just not the best picture of me but it goes beyond dark circles around the eyes. Anyone who has been there or IS there, with a newborn, no sleep, cracked nipples...knows this expression. The semi-faked smile that says to your spouse, "you aren't really gonna take a picture of me now are you..." followed by a few displaced tears...and hopefully a shower...

Looking through these old pictures of Emmett's first days, I can really feel the whirlwind of emotions... It's rough, as well as being great and new etc...but HARD, too. That's why every mama has a story to tell, not just about their childs birth but about all of it, from diapers to the first day of school and on and on. It's a battle story mixed with a bit of fish-tail, shaggy dog and glory days!


After the many, many responses from a couple of posts back (the grocery store incident with Silas) I see that every one has been there...and it helps to know that. My sister-in-law Cami, is in the thick of it...day 13...hang in there mama! And check out her ridiculously cute baby girl Finley!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the battle story line..did you just try and call me btw.

Lauren said...

All I can think of when I think of Aida's first week is how much a pain nursing was. I mean literally a pain. I won't go into the details, but lets just say I even bled a bit.

Someone told me that fair skinned people have the hardest time with sore you know what - so I feel Cami's pain!

Amy said...

It is such a battle story...so true...I always talk about my entry into Motherhood as being now "On the Other Side" because no matter how much I read about the subject, talked with other parents about it, I learned after Chloe was born, that I had NO IDEA what is was really going to be like !!! Not only that, but there was a death in many ways, to the old me, the couple Alan and I were before Chloe, and the life we carried on before...Man was that HARD !!! But also Beautiful... Now Cami has entered into "The Other Side" There is no going back, that's for sure !!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, so true..all of you. I had the bleeding nipples (i walked around with them hanging out when the house was empty, as someone told me that would make them heal more quickly), and I had to lie in hot baths 3 times a day because my stitches ..you know where...were so swollen. Ugh..and then the whole other thing...losing the old me, and dealing with this screaming, crying, pooping little angel all day long. I felt as if someone had grabbed a baseball bat and smashed me on the head (and the rest of my body). Jesus..those first 3 months were a bloody nightmare, and in retrospect beautiful and very special. I say to everyone that can..have two..the second time around is so much easier..well it was for me..because I knew what to expect and the old me had dissapeared somewhat, and I had accepted that my life was now fully committed to these beautiful little beings!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, going to the other side is inutterably hard, and the longer you were the old you, the harder it is to give her up! I remember the hollow eyed look in the new baby photos of Gracie and I. In fact those photos make me sad because I can see that I was trying to look happy... I always took MORE photos when I was having a really hard time, almost out of guilt. Uhoh, baby's crying, over and out