
The baby chicklets, or at least some of them, have hatched...at least three. It's hard to see them in their teeny nest without disturbing them and we are really not supposed to disturb them at all or the parents will throw the little guys outta the nest...thats the little tidbit I read that terrified me...also the part about how I am somehow supposed to band their feet at 8 days old...hmmm?
anyway, all very exciting...Mac and Emmett, as you can imagine, are documenting all the details and find it very cool that both the father and the mother do the regurgitating to feed the little ones. (they are appropriately at zoo camp right now and are planning to ask lots of nesting questions...)
We will NOT be keeping any but passing them back to the kindergarten and perhaps to Macs 5th grade class, that is her deepest wish anyway!
The names so far are Fiddler, Cheeseball and Junebug...I think. (I kinda liked Nancy as the parents are Patricia and Hoenheim and I think its just hilarious.)
(this is not an actual picture of our Zebra finches as they are impossible to photograph through the cage bars...)
4 comments:
Love all the names... This counts as something fun to do this summer - and you didn't even have to leave your house to do it! Oh, and I want to go to zoo camp.
Wow..that's so cool. I have to admit I didn't really think that caged finches could have babies for some reason..or that our little kindergarten finches would do it!! So great!
Just what you need in that house - more babies!!!
We will come and look at them soon {quietly...}
Another great new banner!
Post a Comment