(proof, rain on the torino)
ok, I know that "post-partum pudding" sounds like maybe the grossest thing ever but I always think of it with that name because Myra (who has been in my pottery class for 9 years with her husband Jim and is a doula and accupuncturist-guru-extraordinaire) whipped this up for me after Silas. She said she does this for all her "moms". Ever since, I feel that it is the most wonderful, healing love-in-a-bowl. I meant to make it for Cami after Finley...but it just didn't work in July. So here it is. Feel free to make without giving birth!! It is essentially a kind of rice pudding but it is low in sugar and the kids love it for breakfast...I have even substituted brown rice!
1 1/2 or 2 cups arrborio rice (washed and strained)
32 ounces or a box of lowfat plain or vanilla soymilk
2 cans coconut milk
1/4 cup turbinado sugar (or less)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
bit of cinnamon
wash your rice to get the goop off (I have skipped this step)
put it all in a pan and bring to a boil then turn to low and simmer with a tipped lid for 1 hour.
condiments that make it ridiculously good:
berries or peaches or whatever
shredded coconut (toasted quickly)
...and for all of you that are generally freaked out that my posts have become a bit Holly Homemaker (Lauren!)...don't worry, it's still me. I only have about two more recipes in me before I've shared all in know in the cooking dept. I am hoping for all of you (out there in the blogosphere) to comment or post YOUR best family recipes.
Edgy Annie will one day return!
6 comments:
Your posts are so not Holly Homemaker, why should cooking and sewing not be considered art. God damn it. Of course when a man cooks he's a chef or when he sews a dress he's a designer, but when a woman does either of things she's a Holly Homemaker! I say bullshit! and keep creating!!! Right now I am going to reconfigure my living space (umm...clean the house!).
You crazy mama! I love your cooking posts!
Although I have to say the only thing I think of when I hear Post Partum Pudding is another P word: Placenta.
However I will try it - I love rice pudding.
I just Love Rice Pudding, it is one of my favorite things to eat, other than chocolate...mmm, thanks for the recipe, I have been looking for a good one. I also think it is a wonderful idea to post recipes, and I promise I will get one up! I was thinking we should do one of those tagging things they do on blogs, but make it about crockpot dinners, selfishly because I want some good ones... Love the Torino, especially when its wet !!
Oh YEAH, PPP in print too! I agree, it wasn't the time for it in July... I also agree with Lauren, but with take it one further to say that I am the sick kind of person that likes the name Placenta Pudding.
I have to agree the name is not so tantalizing, but the recipe looks yummy.
I also want to get the recipe for the brown beer vegetable soup!
the family loved this! Benny eats it hot, cold, plain, with a little syrup and Paul says it's just like a fillipino pudding his mom used to make all the time - home run!
Post a Comment