...the "banner" at the top of this blog, that is. It was taken last year... ChristmasDay-Night...you know, when it's all over and everyone is mellow, finally. There's some family movie on...I think in this picture it was "School of Rock", and everyone is just tired enough to finally SIT, even the baby...yes, it's a great memory... yet I remember what comes the day after this picture...and it's not so calm and content...
...the next morning, after about 2 hours of straight organizing all the CRAP...there is this moment when the mini-breakdown begins...when I can't get up off the floor for fear of finding another chore that I have to do that leads to yet another ... (example: you go to put some kids new Xmas plastic JUNK away but first have to make space so you go into the garage to get one of those storage bins but first you have to wade through the Xmas garbage and boxes in front of it. So you try to do that but you need a box cutter which sends you back into the kitchen where the dryer buzzes... and on... and on...)
It seems that this is the moment I just run out of steam and enthusiasm... after weeks of shopping (I hate everything about shopping) and wrapping. Also the cooking, smiling, singing, decorating and adding more and more stuff the an already full house, an already maxed out to-do list... It's just TOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And the funny thing is that I love Christmas, I really do. Annoyingly so, to my husband. I love it so much that I have raised the bar way to high for the kids...cocoa nightly during the season, walks around the block before bed to look at lights, Christmas lights in their rooms for gods sake(!), gingerbread houses, and on and on...I just squeeze out every little bit of holiday goodness I can and since I am not that fond of "consuming" insanely, this is done by the giving of TIME. My Time. Well, on December 26th the good times are OVAH! It's time to hide from mama. QUICK!
Anyway, I am trying to figure out ways to avoid this horrible post-holiday feeling this year. Really the only thing that would totally eliminate the "pain" is 6 straight hours alone to do this massive clean-up by myself, with Mary Poppins booked for childcare. But since that won't happen I have decided to take another approach. I think I will leave the day after Christmas. Just leave the house altogether. Go to the beach, go to the library... somewhere... and leave it up to Matt and the kids. I am sure they would do a good enough job especially if I am not around to watch the progress and comment on the speed or the ordering of tasks. AND, after a day of rest, I am sure I would be back to normal and, yet again, able to organize the rest. Maybe.
So, its a bit early...but anyone want to go the movies the day after Christmas?
7 comments:
Wow Annie, I know exactly what you are talking about... it's crazy isn't it !! Thanks for writing about it...makes it a bit easier on the rest of us! Looks like the day after Christmas Break for you will be the beginning of another ritual to add to the wonderful one's you do before hand. Count me in for the Movies... :)
movie day sounds fun! meet you in...what is half-way...Kansas?
p.s. if you do get a hold of Mary Poppins, send her east when you're done!
Hey now! The good times only continue on the 26th--my birthday!!! Who wants to take me to the movies?
I hear you!
Im so in for a post-holiday movie.
I love the stream of conciousness writing! That anxiety about ALL to be done is exactly how I get...I decided to take it easy this year & not worry about the "perfect" holiday...but just in case my OCD nature gets the better of me...
I am in for some relax post x-mas day!
I say you write to Santa asking for this to be given to you . Leave the letter out with the cookies and milk; it's ok for the kids and pappa to see your christmas wish. Hope you've been a good girl!
Post a Comment