Sunday, January 20, 2008

"112 Things To Do Before You Are 12"...

A great birthday book for Mac with lots of good ideas of must do things... eat falafel, sleep under the stars, go to a fair, swim with dolphins, go to a powwow, stomp grapes, try kayaking, cross a suspension bridge (and make a wish in the very middle, our addition)...
So, today, we started with the bridge... the Spruce St. Bridge.

And Emmett did one other thing he's supposed to try before 12 years old, he faced one of his fears... heights! They crossed it once carefully and slowly (the video) and then about 5 more times eventually running. EEK! I, on the otherhand, felt posivitely nauseous holding a wriggly Silas while the bridge swayed back and forth. Since motherhood I have lost much of my love of things wild in any way, shape or form...rollercoasters, rock climbing, surfing etc. Pitiful. Maybe one day I will rediscover this long lost side of myself! For today I was contented to creep across, make my wish, watch a hawk swoop over that beautiful canyon...then, wait on the other side, nursing Silas and watching my brave babes experience yet another first.

6 comments:

craig or cami said...

Mac, I want to know how many you have done - because I think you did all the ones listed - unless you need some of the falafel from NYC - that can be arranged:) Cool bridge - good for you guys. Great post!

ma otter said...

You are right cam...mac had done the ones i first listed so i added a few more to the post!.
Of the 112 I bet she's done more than half!

lydiafdc said...

That is so funny! Mac is a true big sister!

Anonymous said...

I have lovely memories of that bridge. Don and I used to take walks on that bridge when I was pregnant with Isabel....when we were "young" :) We only lived two blocks away from it.

What a cool book!!!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book!


Isn't it funny how mama status changes so many aspects of your life. All of those "I could possibly die doing this" activities no longer are quite so thrilling.

Amy said...

I love the idea of that book, what a great present! That is a great memory you have recorded.
I too have memories of that Bridge...Alan and I use to walk it, before Children, and then when Chloe was a toddler...both different feelings. I do also relate to that lose of desire to do "thrilling things", it is definitely a "I could die or seriously injure myself and I am a Mama now" thought. It does make for a good reason not to try surfing (which I am scared to death of anyhow!)