Thursday, March 05, 2009

Really, Borscht! I am not kidding!

Got this recipe when I worked at the Olive Tree on MacDougal...well, I didn't actually get the recipe...I sneaked peeks and guessed...and I didn't actually work at Olive Tree, I was more like a slave for tips. But it was well worth it. That place introduced me to some of my favorite parts of NYC and, weirdly, the place is located right around the corner from where Cami lived for years and where they will be living again on Minetta Lane in Serpico's actual apartment. (You gotta blog some pics of your new place for me Cam.) Did we live there at the same time? 1991-1993?

Anyway. The Borscht. Hot, not the cold weird pink stuff served with sourcream.







a bunch of meat cut up, stew beef whatever etc
4 cut up beets (or more if you want)
beef broth (or 5 cups salted water)
maybe more water if you like it brothier
1/2 a cabbage cut up
1/2 an onion cut up
1 tsp of dill
1 clove garlic whole
3 cut up carrots
1 stalk celery
1 tsp red wine vinegar
sourcream or greek yogurt dollup (sp?) optional

crock pot, 4-6 hours low
EASY.

Really, only Matt likes it around here as we are trying out being vegetarians
which has opened my eyes to just how many good things my kids actually do like to eat.
But beets are not one of them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yummy!!!
but is it as good as Vaselka! :)

Lauren said...

I will try it. I bet my girl will love it. Sounds like the perfect meal to welcome her home from Sea Camp with.

craig or cami said...

okay, i started to respond to this DAYS ago on my phone but gave up.... I knew you worked at the Moonlight but had no idea you were slingin' hummus right around the corner!! I missed you by a five good years though... Signed my lease on the bar two doors down from you:) The minetta post is coming! Thanks for the recipe - i love how you say "cut up" and even more i seem to recall and double love how you cut that stuff up AS you're holding it.