Wednesday, October 07, 2009

I love this little soapstone carving.

I made this in 1991 in Machakos, Kenya when I was 20. I was traveling at the time during a week off from classes (intensive swahili of which I remember very little). I went on an adventure with a friend... looking for artists willing to show us how they 'do what they do' and we stumbled upon a village called Kissii (where there are little mini-earthquakes ALL the TIME!) and I met a family there that let me hang out with them for a week. I watched them make the most incredible graceful carvings of animals in minutes. Even the children could do it! (I tried but ended up with 1/2 finished, crude impressions....)
When I left they gave me as much soapstone as I could carry and I carved a little bit everyday the rest of my time spent in Africa. I brought a few of the smaller pieces home with me on the plane a few months later.
This is one of them. It is very simple and is my favorite.
What is amazing to me is that it is a carving of a mother, a father and 3 children...long before I had any idea how my future would unfold. I also love that I even have a picture of me making it!

7 comments:

papa said...

i love you very much, then and now.
papa

craig or cami said...

I can't believe this post. It is my favorite personal post ever. Look at that stone - Look how amazingly beautiful that place (that dress!) and YOU are. What a formative time in Africa - I always love hearing the stories. This now being my favorite...

Caline said...

Annie,
with you around, your constant encouragement and well-full of creativity, i think my own inspiration may never run dry...
i had thought of making a book at the end with every little 2x2 but there's no reason why they couldn't be used as a love quilt too...
and you there in that photo, that's how i remember you. stunningly beautiful with your special intensity!
i am one who truly believes in "the muse" and am always amazed at how manifestations of the muse so frequently arise in retrospect as premonitions or fortune tellers/ the way all sub conscious-ness eventually is born and blooms (both positive and negative). your soapstone carving is the best!
i can't wait to see what happens with our little bird book/wall hanging....
i treasure you very much, then and now.

Lauren said...

I absolutely love that photo of you too. It needs to be up on your wall.

Ms Morgan said...

Wow, you HAVE NOT CHANGED. I bet you wish you still had that dress.

Melissa said...

Look at you beautiful talented woman you!

Anonymous said...

wow...and ...I cried.