Last night we went to Emmett's 3rd grade classroom for the celebration of the kid's service projects. Each student had to somehow make the world a better place and there were so many great projects. Really wonderful. (Check out this video by Bidane !!!)
But then to top it all off they decided, with the inspirational direction of Merrill and Dmitry and help from Allison Bell, to make their "project completion party" into another service project.
For $10 each of us received a handmade pottery bowl made by the kids, classroom made vegetable soup and salad (lettuce, radishes and herbs picked that morning from the school garden) and fresh bread AND then delicious apple bars (made by Cindy, Dmitry's wife) with apples picked by the kids on the field trip they went on last week.
And all the proceeds go to Food Not Bombs.
Wow.
It was a delicious meal...and one the kids deserved more than any other as they grew it, nurtured it, and put thought and love into it.
There were over 100 people there!
It felt like thanksgiving to me.
It was just awesome.
These kids get the best here...they just do.
5 comments:
I am so proud of our third graders and of Merrill and Dmitry. I wish I could be eight all over again and be a part of this wonderful group.
It was an amazing concept!! and such a great event.
Me too me too!!! I want to be 8 and go to SDCCS!! I love it! Thanks for the picture of Emmett's Fair Trade candy project. It very good (and hilarious) and made me think about it in a way I hadn't - namely from the perspective of a kid where often things are about fairness. As we grow up we get the fairness beat out of us a bit but we should always strive to make work for pay FAIR. I bet that chocolate is darn tasty too. How did they make the bowls? And HOW did they punch those holes in the welcome cans? Great event - good work - Bidane's video was awesome too.
What a wonderful school and a beautiful event!! Inspiring!
Yes, our school is wonderful, the night was beautiful in so many ways, and the kids projects where so purely from their hearts. I was blown away by it all, and so happy to be a small part of it !!
Post a Comment