I have pretty much been out of the garden loop since December but it was wonderful and re-inspiring to see all the harvest from those early September and October plantings. (check out the school blog for more pictures!)Amy spent the day with the 3rd graders picking and washing and bunching everything. Thank God for her dedication!! Now who is gonna get this woman PAID so she's able to keep up this level of commitment? ???!!! Who's gonna find the grant, write the grant to pay her for the 5-10 hours a WEEK she spends tending and teaching our kids???.... because, truly, without her continuous work and organization it all falls apart. No matter how many parents volunteer to weed! (Maybe you can sense my frustration.)
I know that a co-op school is about volunteerism but my worry is that when something is created that is really
valuable and an asset that becomes part of the schools identity, it needs to be consistent. Volunteers are inconsistent but Amy is not because she's NOT doing a little volunteering, she is working for free. The goal was to make it more of a cooperative garden but its just not. Amy does 90% of the work. And it will take years of organization to get more teachers on board in a meaningful way (like the model of commitment from Merrill and Dmitry), where the parents from each classroom are actually involved. This is a huge undertaking really. Especially considering that this is only year 3 and we spent the first two years mainly just building boxes and fences and a (sadly underutilized) outdoor classroom.The things of value in this school need to be focused on and supported. How can we make that happen??? Just look what our kids have grown, thanks to Amy.
Isn't it beautiful!!!
7 comments:
I nominate Caroline to write the grant! I don't know anything but that's what I think!! Amazing work you guys do out there. Many community gardens we have out here don't look as good as your school garden. Yes, cultivate it's longevity!
Thanks CAMI! :)
But seriously the school has grant writers..I just don't think the garden is their number one commitment otherwise they would have sought out the cash. However I have a feeling the school might be actually trying to just hold onto the teachers they have right now with all the budget cuts going on in California :(
p.s. wished I'd been able to come on THursday (sick kids...arggh)
Caroline - I'm coming out there so you can punch me in the arm yourself! :))) And then you can tell me where you were running like the wind in those magical places cause I'm going to want to go there... We are so fracken excited!
Save the teachers Save the garden! seriously.
And now at 3500 miles away I will back off of this local discussion...
make that 2500 miles :)
How cool & yummy is that? It's is beautiful and no it wouldn't still be so wonderful without Amy's tireless efforts!!
ps...I am all for a grant to get Amy Z paid, should someone find one, I am happy to write it.
Looks like a wonderful market! What a great experience for all the families involved!
Love to you all and best of luck on the funding. R
Post a Comment