Saturday, March 26, 2011

Saturday Morning Cartoon Blogging: Thoughts from the Week

1. If you want your teenager to hang out in the living room with the family, let her be 100% responsible for her own laundry and the state of her bedroom. It will become unlivable in no time which leads to the wonderful sight of a long lanky teenager doing homework on the living room floor by the fire!!






2. If you'd like to encourage your 4 year old to write but can't seem to get his butt in a chair for more than 5 seconds, get Dr. Seuss's "My Book About Me". (pictured is Mac, Emmett, Silas and Matt's book from 1973!) This book is pure genius and has Silas walking all over the place counting forks and steps to the mailbox. He loved writing his address (with help) and his phone number and this book has him collecting neighborhood autographs (mailman, pizza delivery, librarian etc)... and ALL without having to SIT. This will definitely be a kindergarten challenge for our Dear Morgan!
(PS A little redheaded girl we love will be getting her "My Book About Me" for her 4th b-day! Good thing she can't read this yet!)






3. Two people going Vegan in the house (Matt indefinitely and Mac for one month after she read that going Vegan is the most impactful thing you can do to change the world!)...has really really reduced the amount of cheese and milk consumed by our household! This week we used more almond, rice and soy milk and only ONE 1/2 gallon of milk. I feel good about this.





4. Despite all the yummy things to eat around here, everyone's favorite snack is cereal. Specifically, O's with blueberries and bananas. Me too, actually.







5. Painting is really really fun and absorbing even if its a wee bit embarrassing showing everybody how unsubtle the symbolism is....or clumsy the techniques....and a little bit "uncool".
I love it anyway. I only wish it was as fun to paint on small canvases as it is on big ones! I think I might have to paint, take a picture, gesso over it and on and on....because who has room for (or wants to look at...) a 48'' x 72" painting of The Pregnant Hippy Muse of Pottery ?!! Looks a bit like it should hang in Lady of the Lake! :)



6. I love Bill Murray and I really really love the poem "I dwell in possibility" that he reads to the guys working on the Poet House in NYC.

7. I still can't keep clothes on this boy!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Annie!!!
It's Mindy from waaaaaay back. Habari gani???? So, I found you on here - it's so awesome that you have your own pottery studio. Ok, so my sister (who lives in Portland, OR) is coming to SD for a conference april 9-13, and I am meeting her there the weekend before. we're staying in the gaslight district. I would SOOOOO love to meet up with you if possible. do you have time? it's been what...20 years or something, right? - holy crap. you can email me at mindyb(at)mit(dot)edu. or call 617.290.6812. i looked for an email addy for you but this seemed like the only way to reach you. muah!

Rhea said...

great 'cartoon'... love the snippets into your lives.
hey you vegans, a must try:
silken tofu (w/salt&pepper) topped with sweet peppers that were sauteed in ginger, orange marmalade and olive oil... let me know your thoughts if you try it!
xoxo
p.s. beautiful painting!

craig or cami said...

Fun post! It says it all and that's alot! I picked that "me" book up a couple weeks and ago and did not buy for whatever reason and now I know! I would like to see how many different versions of the Hippie Pregnant Pottery Muse you could make. I wish I could have it here - I do! I found a giant bad painting on Minetta Street of a mexican lady with no face carrying a plate of lemons - I gesso'd over it and Craig I painted "the path" some strange modern type wierdness that now hangs her room and that she says she loves...cringe! I do love your paintings. Matt told me the vegan thing and I peeked it on Mac's facebook so I feel in that loop. I was eating my cheese today and tasting it and wondering if I could fore-go and the answer is no (for now). Look how looong Silas looks sitting at the wee table! She's sleeping so I can't watch the Bill Murray but we will tomorrow! Love yous!!!

craig or cami said...

The Poets House! I feel a summer adventure coming on... Children's room open on Saturdays for 4 year olds and up. What a great thing Bill Murray (I love saying his name since that Coffee and Cigarettes movie) did to go down there with those construction guys - probably got them thinking. Way to direct some intention at the bones level.

craig or cami said...

almond chocolate breeze is The Shizzy!

bebe said...

I love your painting annie and though
I love all the things you do, I like this for it's own merit.
thank you for these postings...it makes me feel close.

I think of you all everyday...and smile.