Impossible not to feel something when reading his words. Concise and true, always.
And I will never forget the way he animated Little Bear. Never.
"There must be more to life than having everything."
“Once a little boy sent me a charming card with a little drawing on it. I loved it. I answer all my children’s letters — sometimes very hastily — but this one I lingered over. I sent him a card and I drew a picture of a Wild Thing on it. I wrote, “Dear Jim: I loved your card.” Then I got a letter back from his mother and she said, “Jim loved your card so much he ate it.” That to me was one of the highest compliments I’ve ever received. He didn’t care that it was an original Maurice Sendak drawing or anything. He saw it, he loved it, he ate it.”
“And Max, the king of all wild things, was lonely and wanted to be where someone loved him best of all.”
“I have nothing now but praise for my life. I'm not unhappy. I cry a lot because I miss people. They die and I can't stop them. They leave me and I love them more...”

"Children are tough, though we tend to think of them as fragile. They have to be tough. Childhood is not easy. We sentimentalize children, but they know what's real and what's not. They understand metaphor and symbol. If children are different from us, they are more spontaneous. Grown-up lives have become overlaid with dross."
“And now," cried Max, "let the wild rumpus start!”

3 comments:
ps
I wish I had thought to write him a letter.
pps
I have never used the word "dross" before. now I will.
What a sweetie. What a life and a gift for all of us. I ate a book once and I can verify that is the highest compliment. Now we must get to the library and get all the Sendak we can... I never read the one you had one here earlier - Outside over there?
did craig see the maurice sendak thing?
Post a Comment