Wednesday, September 19, 2007

what's this blog business all about...

...if it's not about sharing info in a new way?! (that and obsessively taking pictures of our babes!) Honestly, I have been inspired by Amy's sewing, Caroline's music, Lauren's politics, Daleth's food, Cami and Craig's baby:), Lydia's home projects etc. (and feel free to mix those all around...Craig and Cami's music, Caroline's food)...This whole thing is about ideas. So here's one idea to conserve a bit this holiday season. Probably not new to many of you who have ever received a present from me or my kids...
...Wrapping presents in Scap Cloth instead of Wrapping Paper!!
There are many advantages: it's actually easier than paper!!, there's little need for tape, scap cloth is easy and cheap to buy, looks good messy, a kid can do it, encourages NO BOXES (because its hard to wrap the large box holding grandmas sweater...and easier to just wrap the sweater!) and best of all, if this catches on I'll be giving you my cloth and you can reuse it for someone elses present and so on. Also, cloth can be washed and stored barely folded with scented candles or soap so another sense has been thrown into the gift giving mix. What d'ya think?
Books can be tricky to wrap this way so we often resort to using last years cool artsy calendar...or even the produce section of the newspaper with bright colored yarn!
I know some of you are not into the whole crafty thing, but the THING is that this is not crafty! It's easy! The most difficult part is the extra trip to the fabric store bargain bin! And I recommend buying it in big pieces and not cutting it up too small because you can just wrap the cloth around and around...so no "peeksies" and no tape, just twine or ribbon. It's even easier on Xmas morning because you don't need to deal with all that trash that can't be recycled!!!

(my drawers full of cloth and yarn, twine, ribbon etc.)

9 comments:

Lauren said...

You literally brought a tear to my eye with that photo!

{Love the post too.}

daleth said...

Hey... we can flip groceries paper bags, and make collages or put the kids to decorate them, they would turn in good wrapping paper.
I have had these ideas, but since I have a "reputation" of cheap-person, than I go to the conventional. Maybe I should try my free-spirit....

Rhea said...

We also use old maps (mostly old CA maps these days) as wrapping paper. Ben like to highlight places he's been...little trips down memory lane.

Do people even use maps anymore???

Anonymous said...

You are totally a teacher!! I love it..you come across all positive and breezy "it's so easy" etc. etc. I love it..encouraging us to do the right thing. I LOVE YOU! And there is no sarcasm here..great idea Annie!

Yes..Daleth..let your "freak flag fly" as Annie would say :) We all will still like you!

Amy said...

Simply Beautiful Post !! I am so glad you brought this up, because on my quest to eliminate all the excess bags, paper and plastic in my life, this goes right along with it !! I to have drawers of fabric like that !!
I remember Chloe getting a gift from a friend who dyes silks, and it was so cool. She still plays with and uses the silks for all sorts of different things !!

lydiafdc said...

Fabulous post! I just read Amy's blog about the "create your cards" and now this...we are set this x-mas season.

Ry's presents will be wrapped in my scraps on Sunday...don't be mad if you don't get "thank you for coming" cards though...we are a bit lazy about that :)

ma otter said...

we have a No Thankyou Card Rule because we never get around to it either!!
annie

Anonymous said...

I think we all agreed about 6 years ago that thank you cards are not needed....but Chloe is allowed!! :)

craig or cami said...

I have always admired this tradition you have and love receiving the gifts in fabric and then keeping and reusing. Oh, and you are totally blog essaying - you're great at it, don't apologize for your obvious greatness.