Thursday, February 14, 2008

February Trees...

My three favorites this time of year are...

ornamental pear (above)...we have many of them at school...
the bark is so black and the flowers so white it is a beautiful
contrast against the blue sky...

and sweet gum, a.k.a. liquid amber, (above)...I love these trees because of
the way the little prickly balls hang like ornaments
and seem to attract yellow birds...and the way all babies
and children are drawn to them, collecting the seed pods.

This, I think, is an Indian Coral Tree and there is one on the front corner
of our school. This is such an incredible tree!

3 comments:

craig or cami said...

You really ARE a tree worshipper. I love that you know this stuff. Was this info from you tree book that you got for X-Mas? By the way, what's bloomin' for us out here in Coldsville are hmmmm, oh yeah - Evergreens!!

ma otter said...

hey cam...I don't really know this stuff, I have to look most of it up...I looked everywhere today for the name of the red flowered tree...the tree book I got for xmas has only some trees and mainly ones I already know but has alot of folklore about them and incredible photographs of really ancient ones...I love that book!
..but yes I am now and have always been a tree freak...but arent we all really?!

Amy said...

Annie, thanks for enlightening me on the names of those trees, I had no idea. When I was leaving school today the wind was blowing the little blossom leaves on the ornamental pear on me...and I said to Blake.."the tree is snowing on me !!" Of course it was cold and windy, so that might have been why I felt like it was snow, on top of the fact that I secretly miss snow.