Monday, June 29, 2009

growth and expansion and secret places...

...so, on my birthday Mac, Emmett and I were driving in the alley behind the library and found 2 colorful chairs we decided to scoop up (NYC dumpster days?) and use on our side pathway to make a secret hideout place. We also found some wooden chairs, a glass and iron sun, an old painting of a girl, a redpainted dollhouse and a dollbed (I think we will grow shamrocks on it!) from Pat's junk store and grabbed a bunch of other stuff from the garage to make a really cool "house". We especially love the shutter over a hole in the door of the gate to peek out. Add Emmetts succulents, some radishes and beans and a few nasturtium seeds and its just so cool!






















Silas of course added his two cents by requesting a hammock.









The best part of all this is that for my birthday my mom got our lawn guys to cut out about 1/3 of our lawn (THANK YOU, THANK YOU MAMA!) and we used landscape bricks to make a retaining wall ...so now we have 3 new sections for garden...bigger than our whole kitchen garden! WAHOO! (go hog wild!)

This part of the garden leads up and into the gate where our secret (now not so secret!) hideout lives so it really feels hidden and wild when you're in it.

Roses, veggies, herbs and teepee's are in the plan. Mostly seeds at this point! Very exciting. I will update with pics...of course....because it's all I think about right now! (And I am humming new songs all the while.)

4 comments:

craig or cami said...

wow flower house just got better??!! what a perfect little hiding place. have you already been reading books there? nothing like finding cool stuff on the street - you got that in one load? crazy little painting with the snow muff! go carlin, you sure know your kid... amazing what you guys get up to... can't wait to see all the new garden life and hear some new songs too! mac and silas look like happy hanging fruit.

craig or cami said...

those blog colors and banner are delicio-so!

Rhea said...

Your garden looks beautiful - I love all the secret places - very inspiring!!! The sheet hammocks are the best! Enjoy!

Amy said...

Its Lovely, all of it, and the best part is I got to see it in person, so very beautiful !