Wednesday, September 16, 2009

collard greens and kale for days!



I made the best soup today (despite it being summer weather...)

But just look at it. There is no way the kids will even try this without some serious...garnish??
And bribery and promise of desert.

And Silas won't even try it I am sure. So sad.
It is really really yummy.

Vegan Greens Soup
Swiss chard, collard greens kale whatever... about 4 cups cut up very small like cole slaw.
1 onion, 3 cloves garlic, olive oil
one large potato cut small-ish
great northern beans I can or 1/4 cup dried
vegetable stock 2 boxes
bit of cumin, teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, bit of cinnamon, bit of curry, shake of red pepper flakes

saute the oil onion garlic spices first
add potato for a while
add then everything else
bring to a simmer and then reduce heat and cook on low until potatos are soft.
add parmesan if your are not vegan!

awesome!!

UPDATE: later that day...Emmett loves it. Happy to be wrong!
Everyone but Silas gave it the thumbs up!



6 comments:

ma otter said...

I love that boy!
Papa

Anonymous said...

I'll have any leftovers!

Anonymous said...

p.s. Love the added vid..brilliant!

craig or cami said...

I could have used that recipe last summer when we had the CSA and mounds and mounds of kale and collards. I made butternut, carrot, sweet potato curry soup and I am so sad to say Finley no likey:( ps i love emmett.

ma otter said...

I hope she never hits the age of "no likey"
We are smack in the middle of it with Silas. Thank God hummus and carrots. Otherwise there would be hardly any veggies consumed at all..

Amy said...

Greens & Kale Rock !! I am going to try that one... With the overabundance of Chard & Beet greens we have over here, soup is where they end up all the time, and the kids eat it, with lots of grated cheese on top. So healthy !