Sunday, October 25, 2009

So Many Things to Love about "Where the Wild Things Are".

1. The screenplay is by the guy who wrote "Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius", Dave Eggers (I highly recommend that book!)
2. The sculptures made by the wild thing, Carol, look like they are inspired by Andy Goldsworthy! And what's not to love about that.
3. There is a scene where everyone jumps together in a big heap and wrestles around and falls asleep, the essence of snuggly-family-safe-love.
4.The soundtrack is part of this movie, not just behind it.
5.On the way home Emmett says, "so Max's feelings are the wild things" (whoa, E can be heavy!) and I said, "yes, every character was Max and all the people in his life I think" and then we decided that Max ran away from home for a time and "met" his emotions and observed them interact with one another and he befriended them even when they scared him...and then he went home to where he was safe.

What a great book AND movie. I cried my face off, of course, and Emmett patted my hand throughout.

I think that I will never read this book in the same way as before seeing the movie and that is a little sad. I had always thought of it as the tantrum journey of a younger child...fiercer and faster and with less to analyze. The movie did not tell the complete story or the only truth of what the book could be with it's mere 10 sentences. If anything it showed us way more since it's intended audience seems to be adults....But, I also think it told a truth...and that's about as good as a movie based on a book can be.

It was so fun taking Emmett to this movie, just us. I think this may be a first. Mac was at Magic Mountain with friends and Silas was sleeping with Papa after a morning with Nana at the zoo.
Our plan was to go to lunch and a movie and pretend we were restaurant/movie critics/appreciaters (looking for the good in both). I had heard so many critical things about the movie I really had no idea if E would like it.
I also wanted Emmett to experience Jhoti Bihanga, the restaurant that serves the world most delicous "neatloaf" and mash potatoes with mushroom gravy and carrot cake...but it was closed... so we ate at a japanese place by the movie theatre while playing hangman (winning word, "spry"). Nothing was as we expected but completely delicious in everyway!


I give the whole date 4 stars and two thumbs up.
(Emmett's review to follow!)

2 comments:

craig or cami said...

I was waiting for this post. I knew you guys would be making a fantastic day of it full of the special and I was right. Even without the neatloaf. I look forward to my own time in the future with Finley and this classic. Emmett is so sweet with his deep waters. Did you see they renamed a couple streets in the village in tribute to Sendak and the book? Wait, I just googled - ok... I quote "Maurice Sendak created Where the Wild Things Are when he was living just east of Jefferson Market Library in a basement apartment at 29 West 9th Street, adding another literary landmark for you to check out next time you are in the neighborhood."

Samantha K said...

I hope someone will come out with Halloween costumes based on the characters in WTWTA before the 31st... it would be awesome to dress up as Carol