Sunday, February 14, 2010

I am trying to turn it around: Bright-Side.

I am officially getting old(er) and since this year is starting out as a bit of a challenge AND, with future surgeries on the horizon for Matt(feet) and Silas (ear tubes), 2010 will be the year of health issues/fixes.
These are just the facts.
Kinda like renovating the house except without the sawdust. (And NO... plastic surgery is NOT involved. hahaha.)
Maybe I will also extend this to-do list to include wisdom teeth, orthodontia and hernia repair...and we can't forget the metaphorical surgeries and extractions (as in, extract mom from the job she hates, bye-bye)
The hope is that all of this will have positive consequences : My migraines may go away due to an immediate shunning of the progesterone birth control pill that also increases chances of ectopic pregnancy (yup, the culprit) and also no pill means less chance of stroke which has always been my worst fear/nightmare. (We always knew these things about birth control but after last week it all seems so very possible for the"side effects" to actually occur....)
Perhaps this year will rid Matt of all the pain he's endured for years with his feet. And Silas will be able to hear and there won't be so sososososo so much shouting in our house as we repeat and repeat at ever increasing volume.
And since we are going solar and working on installing a grey water system too maybe this overall improvement will make 2011 just ridiculously healthy and mellow with lots of time and room for fun. Yes, that's what is happening. This is not the year of disaster but the year for deeply important change and care (and surely some damn miserable days...but I digress...)
So, in an effort to regain a possibly false but definitely necessary sense of control, I have decided to be proactive in every way. That's how I roll. ha.
I will start today, NOW, in the eye/vision department. I haven't been able to see well for a really, really long time. Every time we get a movie with subtitles Matt and I have the same circular argument. So finally...
Matt, YOU WIN. I will get glasses.
So, it's time to vote friends and family that I love. Which do you prefer? The sort of invisible rimmed variety or the black frame-y ones...











......pair #1 or pair #2....... these are just cheapy drugstore glasses but I will be wearing them and then I will be getting the real deal. Sigh.


And one last thing.
After this week that was quite possibly the worst ever for me, I experienced some of the best things. I now know that for the rest of my life when I hear of a friend that is having a hard time I will bring FOOD. Just about everyone I know brought a delicious vegetarian meal with bread and desert and herbs in baggies to sprinkle on top. Served in their best casserole dishes, often hot out of the oven. This food for us was love love love.
Happy Valentines Day all you wonderful lovers (you know what I mean) and thank you, caring friends, for the meals and the flowers and the calls and the support. With Silas and Emmett and Matt also getting sick, we really really needed it!!!!!

7 comments:

Melissa said...

That is a BIG to-do list Annie but if anyone can tackle it with grace, determination, and a smile, it is you! As for glasses, I am leaning towards choice #1 but you look "wicked smaht" in both!

Anonymous said...

#2

craig or cami said...

What a post - what a week...OY. It's 2:30 in the am and I just passed by the computer and thought "plumpotter?" That IS how you roll and I love you for it. As for the glasses, if you go with this kind of shape, I pick number one. Take someone with you, take a deep breath and try all those suckers on (again, wish it was moi) Poor tubes (fallopian and eustachian) and feet... I am sending you virtual hugs and soup. Who is anonymously voting here?

ma otter said...

yah cam, the shape of the glasses aint right.
I so wish you could come with me and I wish I could afford to buy two pairs and I hope I don't lose them. i have never kept a pair of glasses for more than a month or so.
I will say that the rounder granny style kind make me look like granny's granny.
And I was considering letting my hair go grey (counted 19 grey hairs right on top!!!) but now I am sure that everyone will ask how old my grandchildren are...ha!
cam, love you!

daleth said...

It is good to see you recovering!!!
I'm so glad.

I see, you are doing and planning, even under the "circumstances". And I admire you for that great capability.

craig or cami said...

I like the black rim ones. But I think round granny glasses could be cool too, like one of those cool 5th ave fashion ladies wear. Hope Silas is okay..Matt should worn his inserts like Pop said. Maybe he ought to start listening to the coach! hee hee!
-craig

Lauren said...

I like the black ones too - although I agree with Cami that they are not quite right.

My glasses advice is get the readers from Costco - 3 for 18 bucks and they are really good quality. I used to get prescription ones, but the Costco ones are so good I don't anymore. Plus then you have 3 colors to choose from everyday! (or 2 after you lose one pair....)