The whole school actually.
There just is no one like him.
From mythology to music and math to vegetarianism, he is inspirational without being boring or preachy.
He makes it cool to be smart and celebrates the "geek" in every kid.
And he is hilarious.
He gives everyone names... Mac "Madame Snowtree" and Emmett is "Five-Eighths Cinch Brass Hose Adaptor"....all the kids have some long complicated name that cracks us all up.
He has an imaginary friend/fall-guy named Shlomo and makes up word problems about other teachers like..." Mr. Plapp, while driving his pink scooter 50 miles per hour on the freeway, dropped his Dora the Explorer Doll 10 minutes ago, how long will it take him to retrieve it? (not counting the time it takes to cry and wimper?)" ...or something like that, (I made that up.)
Yes, the school won't be the same without him and I feel bad for every kid who doesn't get him for 3rd grade. (Silas is being seriously jipped!)
Below is a too-short snippet from the 2010 talent show...he's leading the school, singing "Cupid" by Sam Cooke. What will we do without him next year in the talent show?? (Mac insists that he just come back for it ...!!!)
Very talented, he even stood in for the lead singer at the middle school dance a couple years back and rocked Led Zeppelin unrehearsed in front of the most critical of audiences...12-14 year olds.
Dmitry, if you are reading this...
Us Dreyers send out big love to you and thank you for all you've given us!
May your future with your beautiful family be happy and fulfilling!
You will be missed.
6 comments:
what a guy! i love the name thing and his voice. is he moving to parks slope by chance - hmmm?? great post to honor him.
Dmitry is one-of-a-kind, and born to guide young minds. I will so miss having him as my colleague. But, no, I wasn't his preschool teacher. His Mom is my friend Madeline, whom I met as we were both teaching preschool at the Unitarian Cooperative. Although his youngest brother, now a rocker in LA, was still at the school, Dmitry was about twelve. He and I were in a play that his Dad, the author Jerry Farber wrote, but that's another story.
Wow--I'm speechless. I've never seen this many nice things about me in one place, outside of my own writing! I'll miss everyone, but hopefully we can work something out for next year's talent show!
By the way, the proper spelling of your son's name is 5/8" Brass Hose Adapter.
hahaha! I never really knew what "cinch brass meant"!! hahahaha! now I know!
so funny.
;)
annie
Post a Comment