Wednesday, February 27, 2008

two hours to myself...

You'd think I would have all these wonderful plans for my two free hours a week... where Megan has Silas, the kids are in school and I have forbidden myself from cleaning or running horrible errands...but every week I am stumped. Except for a massage/facial I got for Christmas I usually wander around...not wanting to spend money but always spending money. It turns out two hours outside of the house is too short a time span to see a movie or go for a nature hike so I always end up at a book store. Well, this week I bought a couple of books from the Grove and one of them is "Virgin Earth"...by, you guessed it, Philippa Gregory. Yes, another bodice ripper (term coined by Caroline). Except this one combines all my favorite things...the woods, botany, native american culture and a wee bit of bodice ripping, or in this case, loin cloth lifting. Ha.
Anyway, so far it is very "Last of the Mohicans" except no where near as literary and classic. It 's embarressing what I'll read nowadays...if you can call 4 minutes before unconsciousness really reading at all...
By the way...I want to see "The Other Boleyn Girl" when it comes out...definitely a girls night out kinda movie...Matt hopes!!

7 comments:

craig or cami said...

Love the illustration of the hunky loin lifter (hilarious) tending to his plant. I have read the first page of The Golden Bough twice. I have a few parenting books collecting dust and basically can only get through a "reader's write" in The Sun. Pathetic...

Anonymous said...

not to swear with unfettered enthusiasm...but FUCK YEH! (I've been hanging out with way too many young men in bars lately..my language is suffering!!) I want to see that bodice ripper movie...The Other Boleyn Girl..loved that book..even if it was a bit "lite". Eric Bana, Scarlett and Natalie...YES PLEASE. When are we going???? Let's organize it...definitely!

Anonymous said...

I unfortunately cannot take the credit for the term "bodice ripper", I believe it's an English english term that has been used for many years :)

Rhea said...

I read another gardening/bodice ripper of hers but I can't remember the title. It's nice to read something that doesn't offer parenting advice or make me politically outraged. One of my students was in Germany for a film festival and saw The Other Boleyn Girl and really liked it.

Amy said...

Please count me in for "The Other Boleyn Girl" I have been fascinated with that time in History for as long as I can remember. I saw "Anne, Queen of a thousand days" on TV years and years ago, do you remember that movie? Anyhow it got me hooked, and of course a 2008 version of bodice ripping...Oh yeah !! Hope you enjoy your book...The only thing I can seem to read these days is the short stories in the New Yorker as I get my sitting on the potty alone time...

Lauren said...

I am so there.

Everybody needs a good bodice riper every once in a while! No better guilty pleasure than a trashy book.

lydiafdc said...

I am really looking forward to that movie too...I'm there.

Ditto on the "Loin lifter"...that is hysterical!