...for those of us who liked the book and movie while realizing it was a bit...sexist?! Here's the review from salon.
3 comments:
Anonymous
said...
while this is an interesting article, if i had two hours i could write one just as compelling about how the twilight series perpetuates woman-positivity. personally, i am more concerned about the american wage differential. c'mon ladies, lets pick our battles a little more wisely :)
wow meg I think we read different articles. as far as I read he's saying that despite all the controversy (that he spends most of the article describing...) his over all view is that twilight should be viewed as escapism and he comes down on the side of "chelax everyone". this is much how I feel, proven by my taking my kid to the movie (despite the fact that there is a part of me that cringes a little when Bella would rather die than be without Edward...or her inexplicable willingness to have sex with him despite the fact that it could kill her)...I see her character as just another in a long line of human/flawed characters exaggerated for the sake of drama and held up for dissection under the microscope...and in this instance, the feminist microscope. Hence the blog post and the article. But I would love to hear your compelling ideas about how the twilight series perpetuates woman-positivity. That seems a stretch to me but you are in woman studies overdrive...you could probably tell me a thing or two...
3 comments:
while this is an interesting article, if i had two hours i could write one just as compelling about how the twilight series perpetuates woman-positivity. personally, i am more concerned about the american wage differential. c'mon ladies, lets pick our battles a little more wisely :)
wow meg
I think we read different articles. as far as I read he's saying that despite all the controversy (that he spends most of the article describing...) his over all view is that twilight should be viewed as escapism and he comes down on the side of "chelax everyone".
this is much how I feel, proven by my taking my kid to the movie (despite the fact that there is a part of me that cringes a little when Bella would rather die than be without Edward...or her inexplicable willingness to have sex with him despite the fact that it could kill her)...I see her character as just another in a long line of human/flawed characters exaggerated for the sake of drama and held up for dissection under the microscope...and in this instance, the feminist microscope.
Hence the blog post and the article.
But I would love to hear your compelling ideas about how the twilight series perpetuates woman-positivity. That seems a stretch to me but you are in woman studies overdrive...you could probably tell me a thing or two...
I see it as escapist.
But man...I was really dissapointed in the film adaptation...low budget!
Post a Comment