Monday, February 02, 2009

why we blog.

why do we blog and flicker and youtube and facebook?

does it begin as voyeurism? are we selling our lives..."see how good it is" and do YOU buy it?
are we being creative? is it avoidance? is it simply better than late night tv?
is it now unfortunately such great documentation that we can't give it up?
is it better than a baby book and a photo album and a diary combined? or is it worse?
is it something new entirely? better maybe? is it noticing and sharing and therefore realizing how good our lives are? and why is that necessary to realize how good our lives are?

I am having a bit of angst about the blog as some of the blogs that originally inspired me are practically defunct (you, yes, you :)
So, the questions I have been asking myself....should I just go off line except to family? Would that make it feel "purer"? (whatever.)

Who gives a flying monkeys a*@#!!, right?

Today I really almost wrapped this blog up like a small package and sent it down the chute.
But then I remembered Emmett' s birthday and knew I had to do a post about that..and then Mac's play is coming up...and the CD will be coming out soon...and I really never ever talk to Lauren and rarely Caroline so this is kind of a virtual friend maintainer..and just look at these lovely stones and fossilized shells, I must photograph them for the banner....

And here I am. It's like creative-voyeuristic-self-centered-awesome-heroine that doesn't make you sell (too much) of your soul...if you promise only to do it while everyone is sleeping and to not cut into family time...

And, so, F*** it. I am a girl who needs a creative outlet 24/7. So sue me.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

while i have these same questions about blogs and facebook and such, my conclusion is: whatever makes you happy. you deserve it.

and most importantly, would someone PLEASE sqeeze that birthday boy for me as i will be at stinky work all day!? I lLOVE YOU EMMETT! YOU ROCK! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I would be bereft without your blog. It gives me a sense of connection and community even when I am in work-eat-sleep mode. Of course, an arguement could be made that I would make the effort to be more social in 3-D world if it wern't so easy to get my social fix in virtual world. Even so, my vote is: Blog to your hearts' content.
Love,
Morgan

craig or cami said...

you should get that published somewhere - maybe a magazine about blogs!! hahaah... think about it anyway you want, but ride it out sister because if you guys stop blogging we will find you and make you. (hey annie - I actually wrote this before our phone call but did "enter":)

craig or cami said...

uh, DIDN'T "enter" - doh.

Anonymous said...

Bebe said:

NO NO NO - You cannot stop sharing your world with us. I could not bear it...you know I speak the truth....This communication gives us such joy, not to put to much pressure on you but you know I speak the truth.

Lauren said...

I too have my own blogger angst.

I need to poop or get off the pot about it. I have realized that if I don't get any comments it is very unfulling for me. That is the appeal of Flickr and Facebook - there is more instant communication.

OK I have to go teach now - more later.

Rhea said...

I have been grappling with this exact issue lately - stemmed from this FaceBook phenomenon that has me completely baffled. So I check in one a week(ish), pretend I'm staying in touch with y'all, partake in the narcissistic, voyeuristic blogosphere, and hope I'm not selling a little piece of my soul to the internet-machine. (these are excerpt from a blog entry I have been working on and will post soon...yes, I get the irony).

Amy said...

Okay, I have been pondering these questions to, and you have managed to put my thoughts, that I could not quite come up with into a brilliant blog post...thank you for that! (Which is one of the many reason's you should keep it going!) Another, is because although I personally do not always comment, your blog is the first I always go to, because it is so beautiful in so many ways, you don't realize how much it does for so many folks, and its a great diary for you and your family. You know you can have it put into book form, by year or by 5 years, and put it on your shelf.
For me, I do it to be creative, to have something to remember in my older years, and of course for the kids, hubbie and extended family & friends. My only problem is that I feel guilty when I look through my photo log and think, man why didn't I just put that on the blog ! I don't care if I have comments or not, I just feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I hit the "publish post" button. So, I could go on, but realize, I just need to call you up and talk in person!

BTW Happy Birthday Emmett !! & I love all the diamonds you have given your Mom over the years...they are priceless !

Anonymous said...

my thoughts exactly ;)

the only thing I don't agree on...is that question...are we are all showing off how great our lives are...really I don't think you do that ..and I don't think any of our other blogging buddies do that. I think we're too honest :)

My blog was most useful for me when I was feeling at my most miserable and isolated during the divorce..to kind of get those emotions out there that maybe I was too scared to tell my friends face to face..does that make any sense...guess I've just always been better at communicating feelings through the written word than verbally!

However...I'm kinda with Lauren..Facebook is really floating my boat lately..because it's sort of blog/photo place/email all in one..kind of like an iPhone :)

Anonymous said...

Discount RX Pharmacy - Cialis, Viagra, Levitra, Tamiflu. Order Generic Medication In own Pharmacy. Buy Pills Central.
[url=http://buypillscentral.com/buy-generic-tamiflu-online.html]Purchase Best Viagra, Cialis, Levitra, Tamiflu[/url]. Indian generic pills. Cheapest medications pharmacy

Anonymous said...

At our department store you can find numerous medication and of progression such lay Best Discount Viagra Pharmacy Online a man – Cheap Generic Cialis pharmacy.

Anonymous said...

You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

Anonymous said...

Not bad article, but I really miss that you didn't express your opinion, but ok you just have different approach

Anonymous said...

I consider, that the theme is rather interesting. I suggest you it to discuss here or in PM.