Thursday, October 22, 2009

Inspiration: Collaboration




Caline sent this delicate and beautiful book to me. For me to work on as our first collaborative project. It was tied together with string so it could fold like an accordian... with the life of a bird depicted on front of each page...the back side left blank.

Also included in this envelope, a small doodle/drawing, made by ME, from August 9th, probably 1987. (It reminds me of Caline, this drawing I made long ago.)
And putting two and two together I felt that maybe I should simply be drawing on the back side of each of her pages, fold the book back up and then send it back. Collaboration complete.

But that's just not what happened.

It became clear that I was wanting to incoporate other things. I even made some stamped things out of clay that I thought I would susupend from the book. (I will be sending these to you, Caline, for our next collaboration if you're up for it....since I don't know how I could send this to you without it getting destroyed...)

Anyway, the thought of hanging things from this bird book got me started collecting twigs with Silas, then discussing "balance" with Emmett and thinking about "color" with Mac.

And then we wished we had a perfectly empty (but not white) room to look at it in with
the sun shining in on it so we could watch the spinning shadow on the wall.

The bird book is alive in our house now!
Twig, Breeze, Balance.




Thank YOU Caline!

7 comments:

Caline said...

I'm up for it, I'm up for it!!!!
Your post and how our project turned out is all the best and I love it!!!!
(I thought it was funny that I bothered to write the date but not the year on that drawing. When you're young like we were I guess it's inconceivable that today could ever be confused with today last year or today years ago...)
You definitely went outside my box with that one which is the exactly why it's good to create with other people... & I'm so pleased that it will hang in your home and above that outrageous lamp which for the record is sublime and divine. & it's so cool that all the kiddo's were involved and interested! I want to collaborate with Mac & Emmett on a quilt. Maybe when I make it over for a visit they can teach me to knit/crochet...
Stamped clay yay.... Can't wait...

craig or cami said...

I was waiting patiently/anxiously to see what you two would get up too. Fabulous flying thing. As a bird, I totally approve. Gives me ideas too - thanks! Me wants More!!!

craig or cami said...

I keep coming back to looook. I think about it all a lot - a nice distaction for moi. What are those pod things tied up in blue? The look so "nestishy" (made that word up!)

Caline said...

I keep coming back to look too...
The two sticks on the bottom move and change so beautifully. I just love it!

Anonymous said...

Hello,
I have developed a new clean web 2.0 wordpress theme.

Has 2 colours silver and blue, has custom header(colour or image).
I am curently working on it, so if you have suggestions let me know.

You can view live demo and download from here www.getbelle.com
If you found bug reports or you have suggestions pm me.
Wish you a happing using.

many thanks to [url=http://www.usainstantpayday.com/]USAInstantPayDay.com[/url] for paying the hosting and developement of the theme

thobonsinfodo

Anonymous said...

Did you [url=http://www.onlinecasinos.gd]casinos[/url] advised of that you can do Revolving Mansion momentarily from your mobile? We comportment a earmark transportable casino elbow against iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Windows 7 and Smartphone users. Palm during your gaming with you and be a punter [url=http://www.avi.vg]online adult toys[/url] wherever you go.

Anonymous said...

We [url=http://www.freecasinogames.gd]slots[/url] be subjected to a ample library of absolutely freed casino games in regard to you to play sensibly here in your browser. Whether you want to practice a table round strategy or scarcely examine out a some new slots in the presence of playing in the direction of unfeigned money, we be undergoing you covered. These are the exact same games that you can engage at earnest online casinos and you can part of them all representing free.